While ants are a very important part of our eco-system, they can also be an unwelcome visitor to your home. While this method is non toxic, it does harm the nest. The workers bring the "food" back to the queen and the solution kills her. Without her the colony will disband. Big, black and biting carpenter ants had decided that they wanted to live with me. This recipe worked like a charm and they have not been back! It worked very quickly for me, like within 2 days there were a few scattered sightings of ants and 2 months later I still have no ants.
The ratio is 1% boric acid to 20% sugar to 2 cups of water.
1/2 teaspoon borax
10 teaspoons sugar
1 cup water
1. Heat water
2. Add sugar and borax
3. Mix until both are dissolved
4. Pour into a covered glass jar
5. Soak cotton balls in solution
6. Put wet balls on a water proof surface (glass plates) and place where ants are prevalent.
7. Leave out until dry and remove and/or replace
8. DO NOT LET YOUR PETS NEAR THESE - NOT EDIBLE